The Prothonotary’s office creates and maintains accurate civil records (including but not limited to: law suits, judgments, domestic relations, municipal, state & federal liens) and collects and accounts for the distribution of revenue (writ tax, children’s trust fund, judicial computer project fund) to the county and state. There are many other responsibilities of the Prothonotary’s office including processing passport applications, appointing arbitration boards, license suspension appeals, appeals to higher courts, and collection of costs from protection from abuse cases.
Fee Schedule to Increase January 1, 2023
- Attorneys Maintaining an Office in Susquehanna County
- Local Rules Civil Division
- Prothonotary Fee Schedule 2023
Passports are processed by appointment only. Appointment times are Monday through Friday at 9:30 am and Monday through Thursday at 1:30 pm. To check appointment availability, please contact us at 570-278-6641.
What you will need:
1. Passport Application ~ (DS-11) our office has blank forms available or if you wish to prepare them ahead of time, feel free to visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/forms.html
If printing from home, please print one side only.
2. Proof of U.S. Citizenship ~
- State Certified Birth Certificate containing a raised seal and both parents’ names.
- To obtain a birth certificate go to PA Vital Records/Birth Certificates or Out of State Vital Records/Birth Certificates;
- Naturalization Papers - Original only;
- Expired U.S. Passport.
3. Proof of Identity ~
- Valid Driver's License or State-issued Identification Card - Original.
- If an applicant, or the parents/legal guardians of a minor, presents an out-of-state driver's license, additional identification is required. Acceptable forms of additional identification include:
Health insurance card;
Social security card;
4. Photographs ~
- 1 color passport photo (2"x2") taken within the last 6 months.
- Passport photo can be taken in the Prothonotary's Office for a $10 fee.
5. Additional Requirements for Minor Children ~
- Both parents and the minor child must be present at the time of application.
6. Fees (for each application) ~
- Passport Books: Check or Money Order made payable to the U.S. Department of State in the amount of:
- $130 if applicant is 16 years of age or older;
- $100 if applicant is 15 years of age or younger;
- Passport Card: Check or Money Order made payable to the US Department of State in the amount of:
- $30 if applicant is 16 years of age or older;
- $15.00 if applicant is 15 years of age or younger;
- Expedited Processing: An additional $60 added onto the payment to the US Department of State;
- For each application: Check, Money Order or cash made payable to the Susquehanna County Prothonotary in the amount of $35;
- For pictures taken by the Prothonotary's Office: Check, Money Order or cash made payable to the Susquehanna County Prothonotary in the amount of $10.
*** If you are having picture taken in Prothonotary's Office one check for $45.00 will be accepted ***
- The typical wait time for passports can be found on the U.S. Department of State page.
- All citizenship documentation must be submitted to the US Department of State with the passport application. The citizenship documentation will be returned to you via US mail.
- To check the status of your passport, you may go to US Department of State.
Prothonotary & Clerk of Courts
31 Lake Avenue (PO Box 218)
Montrose, PA 18801
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Passport Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. (closed for lunch noon - 1 p.m.)
Telephone: (570) 278-4600
Civil - Ext. 6641
Criminal - Ext. 6642
Collections - Ext. 6677